Thursday, January 29, 2009

Wave the Gray Flag

A few years ago I jokingly planned with a friend to start an Atheistic Church. We'd have sermons, collections, hymns and nobody would like to attend. You know, like a real church. The idea fell apart when we tried to come up with a symbol. After all, if you don't believe in anything, what do you use to symbolize that? We thought an empty flagpole would be too suggestive in modern day America. So, the idea of the Gray Flag was born. At first is was intended to be a symbol of non-faith. Over the years I have grasped onto this symbol to encompass almost everything about myself. Let me explain.

The only truth is relativism. I know that's a blanket statement and people will have problems with it. Ah well. The fact is, our lives are constantly being measured by varying scales of good and evil. Speeding is bad. Unless you're on the way to the hospital. Killing is bad, unless it's self defense. We could name any number of things that seem bad, but are not. And so we take that merry trek down the paths of logic and suddenly we start to see the world in shades of grey. Nothing is quite White and nothing is quite Black, but a lot of things are awful close.

So, the Gray Flag has come to symbolize reality, not a lack of belief. the Gray Flag will come with us all the way through the journeys we will embark on. We will decide Right and Wrong and Irrelevant. We will explore options, possibilities, potential and perhaps even find answers.

I'm going to express my opinion a lot. Email me if you disagree. Or agree. Or if you simply care and want to wave my way. I welcome all opinions, even those I am diametrically opposed to. I know you may not like what you read. I'm going to explore politics, social problems, religion, morality, humor, entertainment and life. We all have powerful opinions on these things and I hope not to offend, but only to promote thought.

I have learned to wave the Gray Flag so as not to forget who I really am. I hope you can too, no matter the color of yours.

2 comments:

  1. Are you saying we should think "beyond good and evil?"

    I've heard that somewhere before...

    ReplyDelete